- 1 Best Student Printers Under 500
- 2 Buying Guide: What to Look for in the Best Printer for a College Dorm?
- 2.1 1. Determine the Type of Printer you Require According to your Need
- 2.2 2. Figure Out How much do you have in your Dormitory to Keep your Printer
- 2.3 3. Determine your Budget
- 2.4 4. Decide the Location in your Room Where you want to Keep your Printer
- 2.5 5. Figure Out if you will be Printing Documents or Photos
- 2.6 Conclusion
A printer is one of the most important equipment which is required by almost every college student. Irrespective of the fact that whether you are a student yourself or you know another student it is important to get the best possible equipment for them to have them with their studies and their course work.
By picking the best printer for students you can make sure that you do not need to go to an internet cafe in a library to print out your important documents and assignments. It not only saves and a lot of time and money but also helps the student to avoid the stress of looming deadlines.
With a list of some of the best printers for students, you can easily pick one which suits your needs no matter which type, of course, you are studying.
How was The List Made?
We created this list after several hours of research and by talking to people from different forums. Several surveys and interviews later we had a consolidated list of the best printers. However, we verified the claims of the users with that of the experts. Thus bringing you a list to rely upon.
What to Look for?
Finding the best printer for college students can be a quite difficult task. However, it can be made easy if you know what to look for in a printer. Here we have given the five most important things which need to be considered when purchasing a student printer.
Depending on the type of work that you need to do for your college, your image quality requirement can be different. If you need to get a lot of images printed for your college work it is advisable to opt for a printer that has a good ink configuration and ink density.
2.Size and Speed
Most of the students do not have a large space to keep their printers. Thus it is important to have a compact printer that does not require a lot of space. Another important factor is the speed with which it works.
It is usually seen that the students are always in a hurry and cannot wait for a long time to get something printed. To avoid any last-minute hurry it is advisable to buy a printer with a good speed.
3.Ease of Use
It is absolutely wrong to get caught up in features and specifications of the printer while forgetting the usability. When it comes to students usability plays an important role in the correct selection. If a student gets a printer that is difficult to use and requires a lot of troubleshooting they will not be able to work seamlessly.
Another important factor is that the printer should not cost too much. Nor at the time of initial purchase nor in the long run. The best printer for students is quite affordable without sacrificing the quality of the print.
Best Student Printers Under 500
This Epson Expression printer is absolutely perfect for those students who need to print a lot of materials, papers, and assignments. This is mainly due to the fact that it includes ink which can be used for at least two years, or in other words it has an ink capacity equivalent to 20 printer cartridges.
The Epson wireless all in one printer delivers an unbeatable combination of value for money and ease of use. Since it is cartridge-free, it comes with 2 years of ink which saves you from the effort of having to change the cartridge again and again.
A 1.45 inch LCD color screen allows the user to navigate through the menu easily in order to set up the printer or to connect it to a wireless network.
- It has a built-in wireless system along with WiFi direct which enables the user to print directly from their smartphone and tablets without the need for a network.
- The printer comes with a super tank that has enough ink to last for two years or to print 4000 or more pages.
- The ink bottles which are used are low cost and saves up to 80% on refilling.
- It has a built-in card slot, which can be used for printing documents and photos directly from the printer without the need for a smartphone or computer.
- Most of the features of this Epson printer requires an internet connection. This makes it difficult to use in situations when you need to print something urgently and do not have an internet connection.
- The printer requires the use of special inks manufactured by the same company for a good printing experience and to avoid damage. As a result, it becomes necessary for the user to buy a specific ink which can be quite a hassle if they are unavailable in the market.
Overall this Epson Expression printer is one of a kind. Not only is it highly convenient to use, but the price is also quite justified once you consider all the features. All in all, this is a worth buying printer, if you have enough budget.
This Canon wireless compact printer is an excellent solution for students to have a small space. With a dimension of 7.1×5.4×2.5 inches and a weight of only 1.9 pounds, this printer is available in both white and black colors.
The Canon Selphy printer is an excellent choice for students who need to print a lot of photos on a daily basis for their projects and assignments. You can print anything by simply connecting your smartphone or your tablet to the printer through a Canon Print App3.
The sleek and portable design allows the user to even carry it with them in times of need and is one of the best small printers for college. It comes with an optional battery so that you can print your photos on the go. With a 3.2 inches LCD screen, it has become easy to choose and edit photos on the printer itself.
- The print quality of this printer is excellent. The printer has a resolution of up to 256 levels per color.
- The output tray capacity is quite good with 18 sheets and passport size paper cassette.
- The LCD screen makes it easy to operate.
- The photos dry up instantly and are water-resistant.
- It does not have a touchscreen.
- The printing is quite slow.
- These are excellent for printing photos but not for the printing of documents and assignments.
It is one of the printers having the highest customer rating. This clearly shows the credibility of this printer. It is excellent for printing photos, and if you are studying a course that requires extensive printing of photos, then this is the printer for you.
This is a wonderful option for college students who are on a tight budget. This printer allows the user to print scanned copies of not only photos but all the documents. It can help you stay on the top of your assignments without having to fight your way into the campus computer lab.
It has a high yield ink cartridge which helps the students to keep their printing in budget while also spending less time shopping for ink.
- It has a wireless system by which you can print from your computer and any mobile device.
- The high yield ink cartridge helps the students to stay within their budget.
- It is highly compact and saves a lot of space making it is the perfect option for students.
- Supports a wide range of paper sizes.
- It does not have an auto document feeder.
- Print through a USB drive is not available.
- No Ethernet networking is available.
Designed for versatility, this HP Envy printer is one of a kind. The HP smart app is an excellent feature that comes with this printer. Overall, it is highly recommended for students who are on a tight budget but are not ready to compromise on quality.
The Brother Monochrome Laser Printer is popular for its dual-sided printing. This feature along with the high yield cartridge enables it to cut down on the ink refills. It measures just 14×14×7.2 inches and is capable of zipping out 32 pages per minute.
The printer comes with a manual feeding slot which aids in quality printing on various types of paper sizes. In contrast to several other printers in the low budget range, this Monochrome printer can be connected to a USB interface. It also has built-in WiFi for easy printing.
- The automatic double-sided printing helps the students to save a lot of money.
- It is quite affordable and offers wonderful features.
- The toner can last for a long time.
The only disadvantage of using this printer is that it is monochrome which means you can not have color prints.
Though a little bulky, it is a good value for money due to its ease of use and low on budget. If the student only requires a printer for printing of documents, this printer can be a good choice for them.
This is the printer for students who wish to optimize their work by making the best use of the latest technology. Due to its compatibility with Alexa, Google Home, and Microsoft Cortana, it is great for students who prefer to use voice control for printing as well as for scanning.
- This printer is voice-activated and completely hands-free making it easier to operate while you are busy working on something else.
- Print and scan anything by simply using the HP smart app.
- Dual-band wifi can be used for connecting the printer to go any mobile device or tablet.
- It allows borderless printing.
- This printer faces occasional connectivity issues.
- The print speed is quite low.
This is a must-have printer for students who love voice control systems. It is completely hands-free and highly useful for students who prefer multi-tasking. All in all, it is good value for money.
Also Read: Best Printer for Crafters
Buying Guide: What to Look for in the Best Printer for a College Dorm?
No matter what kind of work you are doing on your computer, if you want to submit it to your college professors you need to get it printed. In order to do so, it is necessary to have a printer. However, choosing a printer is not an easy task owing to the fact that there are innumerable varieties of printers available in the market. If you are willing to buy a printer for yourself, it is advisable to follow this basic buying guide.
1. Determine the Type of Printer you Require According to your Need
By keeping your college course in mind, try to determine the type of printer you might need. If your work only requires you to print a few pages, you can opt for inkjet printers which are quite cheap. On the other hand, if your course work demands a lot of printing then you need to find a printer that has a good quality print and works at a fast speed.
2. Figure Out How much do you have in your Dormitory to Keep your Printer
If you have a large space in your hostel room or dormitory, you do not need to worry about the size of the printer. However, if you have a very small space to place your printer, it becomes incredibly important to find a printer that is compact and comes with all the features.
3. Determine your Budget
The budget plays an important role in choosing the best printer for college dorms. Many times students are short on budget and are unable to afford an expensive printer. But that does not mean that you have to compromise on the quality or the features. There are several printers that are excellent and provide a variety of useful features while all being cheap. You can also look for an all in one printer which combines a scanner and a printer option.
4. Decide the Location in your Room Where you want to Keep your Printer
At first, it might seem of little importance to you that it does not matter where you keep your printer. In contrast, the location plays an important role in selecting the right printer. If you are intending to keep your printer near to your computer, you can buy a wired version which is quite cheap.
However, if there is no space for you to keep your printer near an hour’s computer, buying a wired printer can be disastrous for you. In such a case, you need to buy a wireless printer which can be connected through WiFi or mobile applications.
5. Figure Out if you will be Printing Documents or Photos
There are several college programs that require the students to submit printed documents and assignments on a daily basis. In such cases, it is absolutely necessary to buy a printer that works excellently for printing good quality documents at a high speed.
On the other hand, if your course work requires you to print a lot of photographs you might want to focus on a printer that specializes more in photograph printing.
To sum it up, finding the best printers for college students can be a daunting task since there is no one perfect printer for everyone. Each student has different requirements and thus needs a printer according to their needs. So if you are thinking of buying a printer for yourself, or if you are intending to gift a printer to a student it is advisable to consult and find out their course requirements before making the purchase. Without proper consultation, you might end up buying a printer which is absolutely useless for a student.
The vast varieties of printers available in the market are for the ease and convenience of the students. Due to the specialized features, students can opt to buy a printer with only has the features required by them. This saves a lot of money, as compared to the previous printers which were all in one and thus costing a lot more. It was also a complete waste of money to pay for the features which are useless to a particular student.
If it befell upon us, our best pick would be HP Envy 5055. It is a summation of the best of features, including wireless working and high yield ink cartridge. If some other printer fits your requirement, go ahead and buy that. Happy shopping!